Thursday, November 8, 2018

DIY Jewellery Drawer Insert

When I revamped my walk-in closet recently, I knew I needed a wardrobe specifically to help organize some of my smaller accessories.  Since I couldn’t fit a dreamy closet island in my space, I had to come up with a small scale solution that would work for my closet.  Something practical but cute.

In the end, I dedicated one wall to accessories.  Our built-in unit included a floor-to-ceiling shoe shelf and a small vanity area complete with jewellery drawers and a quartz countertop.

As you may know, I had many challenges when it came to building this closet—space depth being one of them.

For this project, I had a max depth of 15″ to work with and the IKEA shallow base kitchen drawers (24″ x 14 3/4″) worked perfectly.  However, the rare size made it next to impossible to find a jewellery drawer organizer.  Most inserts are made to fit the typical drawer depth of 24″.

Determined to stick to my vision, I decided to create my very own jewellery drawer insert. Here’s how I did it.

MATERIALS

Wood (I used sanded 1/2″ plywood)
Stain/Paint
Cardboard
Velvet 
Spray Adhesive 
Glue Gun
Nail Gun 

1. CREATE A FRAME

Since I had a bunch of scrape pieces of wood leftover from our closet built-ins, this is what I used to create the frame of the drawer insert.  Although the IKEA drawer size is 24″ x 14 3/4″, the actual interior of the drawer is 19″x 12″.  So I cut the wood pieces to size, with a height of 1 1/4″.  I secure the frame using a nail gun.

2. STAIN & PAINT

After a good sanding, I stain both the interior and exterior sides of the frame. Since cut plywood doesn’t absorb stain easily, I use a roller to paint the top edge in a light blue. This covers and hides the exposed edge.

3. CARDBOARD BASE

Next I grabbed a cardboard box and cut out the base of the drawer insert (18 1/2″ x 11 1/2″). Before you move to the next step, test it out.  Make sure it fits snug.

4. APPLY FABRIC

It’s important to line your jewellery drawer with velvet.  This prevents it from shifting around when you open and close your drawer. Make sure you iron out all the wrinkles in the fabric before you begin.

To avoid seeing cardboard ridges through the velvet, make sure you line the cardboard first.  Use either a piece of batting or thick fabric and then finish with the velvet on top. This is the key to a soft smooth surface.

Spray adhesive works best to glue the fabric to the front of the cardboard. This allows for no glue lines on your finish product.

Then you flip it over, make sure you pull your fabric tight around the edges and fold the excess material like you’re wrapping a present. I used hot glue on the back for a secure hold.

5. PUT IT TOGETHER

I know no one will ever see it but I cut a piece of velvet to cover the backside. I like knowing the cardboard is completely covered 🙂

Since the cardboard is cut for a snug fit, you can slip the finished cardboard base in the frame.  It shouldn’t move but for added protection, I add a dap of hot glue to each corner from the underside.

6. ADD THE DIVIDERS

To add dividers, I cut 1″ strips of cardboard in the appropriate lengths. You can add as many or as little dividers as you want.

Using the spray adhesive and glue gun, I wrap each cardboard piece with fabric and cut it out.

To attach the dividers to the wood frame, I use a bit of hot glue on the ends.

I loving having a jewellery drawer in my wardrobe! Nothing beats the feeling of being organized!

Shop the Post:

Click through these links to see more from our master closet series:

Designing my walk-in closet
5 Things to know before revamping your walk-in closet
Installing our built-in closet system (with pricing)
My DIY Master Walk-In Closet Reveal

The post DIY Jewellery Drawer Insert appeared first on Pink Little Notebook.



from Pink Little Notebook https://ift.tt/2PghpHb

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Covid-19 Affects the Housing Market in College Towns

The Covid-19 pandemic has led to major lifestyle changes. That could significantly impact the housing market in college towns, according to ...